Monday, October 27, 2008

Reasons To Research Public Records Online

Years ago I set about trying to trace my family tree. I had no idea what I was getting myself into or how hard it was going to be. I started by asking relatives questions about family members. That part was easy and I flew right along. I got a lot of names and their relation to me, some of their birth dates and where they were born. That's where things came to a halt, I could only get so far back and then I was stumped. After doing some asking around and a little research, I found out that the public records is where my destiny or actually my past was hidden. So to start out I checked records in my county and so found there was to be a lot of other counties records I would have to tap. A cousin of mine jumped in to try to help with the research and we did make our way back to the late 1700's in Germany.

That took us several years and even though we were doing all the leg work it still cost us some cash. When your getting records that are miles away you tend to use the mail and telephone to request the records. For these records to be found and mailed they do charge a small fee to cover their costs. There are websites and books for sale that claim to be your family genealogy, but watch out, they are not completely accurate. Also they're not cheap, it will cost you anywhere from $59-$300 and no guarantee how far they will go back or the accuracy of the report. Remember they are in it to make a buck.

Let me suggest how you should go about it, and make it easier on yourself. You need to talk to relatives and get the information you can. Any blanks you have you can fill in yourself by researching public records online. The site I use is $30 for 5 years of access, plenty of time to get your family tree done. Basically all you have to do once you've joined is put in the information you have and let their data base do the leg work for you. The data base is nationwide and very comprehensive. Caution though you may find out things you may not want to know! Doing your family research online is so much faster and easier than using the mail and phone, cheaper too. It is more accurate than books and the web offers for family trees. You can do cross checks to make sure that uncle Joe in indeed your uncle.

There you go, I told you there were happier things to do with public records online. This is still only scratching the surface of what can be done but I'll add some more a little later. I wish you GOOD LUCK in your search. If your interested in gov-records the public records site I use, The link is listed below. Have fun and a great day!

No comments: