Friday, October 24, 2008

Reasons To Research Public Records Online

Hello everyone,

I wanted to make this blog available to all of you in hopes of saving you from some of the heartaches the world throws at us. All of my writings will come from my own experiences, either personal or things that happen around me. Also letting you know the ways I find to solve some of these issues or preventing them from happening at all. One thing that I started to do (after a really bad experience) is research public records online.

Let me start with that really bad experience I mentioned above. A few years back I set my wife up with a cake shop. she made all kinds of bakery goods but specialized in beautiful wedding cakes. Starting small we used a convention oven much like you have in your kitchen. As business grew (not in revenue but in orders) she needed more oven capacity and quicker baking times. So we began the search for a used convection oven we could afford. Living in a small town back then we had no local source within 70 miles, so we went online. We found one on ebay that was just what we needed and being the cautious type we checked the sellers rating, sent emails and ended up with his name, location and phone number. We talked to him a couple of times and he was very nice and helpful. So we bought it and sent a cashiers check for $1400 and waited for it to arrive. Didn't happen so we called and was told it was to muddy to get to the storage barn he had it in, give him a couple of days. After many more phone calls and excuses including hospitalization for heart attack, we asked he return the money. We were never able to contact him again.

Here comes the heartaches. For months we delt with lawyers and courts to sue him and get our money back. We did win the the suit no problem, we just couldn't collect! You see he lived in IL. and we were in KS. and there is no way the court could force collections across the state line. If he set foot in Ks, he would be arrested but that would be the only chance we had. So even though we went out of our way trying to be smart shoppers, we didn't do enough. After the lawsuit we were in contact with the sherrif in IL. in the county where he lived and he told us he had delivered other lawsuits to the same guy and knew exactly where he lived. If we would have researched public records online we would have known he was a crook! WE HAD EVERY BIT OF INFO WE NEEDED! Just not the knowledge to act on it.

Wow, I get worked up thinking about that. So I'll quit for today and calm back down, but it is so easy these days to protect yourself and this is my mission with this blog. I will be telling you different ways you can use public records online that will save you money, protect your family and also things that are a little more fun and interesting. So please stay with me here and let me help you.

No comments: